Morning breath is a common occurrence, but having a persistent bad odor in your mouth may pertain to a more severe dental complication. That persistent odor that lingers in your mouth even after brushing, flossing or rinsing is referred to as Halitosis.
The condition can be both unpleasant and embarrassing not only to the one affected, but also the people around. Clover Smile Studio understands Halitosis and the possible problems associated with it. That is why we offer Halitosis Treatment for people to regain their fresh breath and also a healthier overall dental condition.
What is Halitosis?
Halitosis is the medical term used to refer to Bad Breath. The foul odor experienced after eating certain foods or beverages is not Halitosis neither the odor after waking up.
Halitosis is the persistent foul odor in the mouth that is not removed quickly. Bad breath caused by foods breaking down on the mouth which are not properly removed. It goes primarily to the foods eaten that have a strong odor like garlic or onions.
Causes Of Halitosis
- Dry Mouth. During sleep, the bacterias in your mouth to take advantage of the low production of saliva. Saliva is known as the natural rinse which helps in removing bacteria in the spaces of your mouth. Low saliva means that more bacteria accumulate in your mouth. Although this condition is reversible in the morning, some people have low production of saliva even during waking hours. With the bacterias gathering in the mouth, it can result in Halitosis.
- Dental Issues. Cavities on the teeth or deep pockets in the gums can be home to plaques and bacterias. These portions mentioned are harder to reach when performing dental hygiene. Dental issues such as gum disease or decay not only affects the teeth or its supporting structure, it also can be a cause of Halitosis.
- Bad Habits like Smoking, tobacco or Excessive alcohol drinking. Not only that, these products leave strong odors in the mouth. The chemicals used can also cause dry mouth which is known to result in Halitosis. Bad habits also increase the risks of developing dental complications.
- Poor Dental Hygiene and Care Practice. People who often skips brushing are at higher risk of developing dental complications which are known to cause Halitosis. With proper hygiene and care, food particles which started to break down in the mouth are not removed which leaves a foul odor.
Treatments For Halitosis
- Stay Hydrated by drinking water, not processed beverages like sodas or juices.
- Practice proper dental hygiene by brushing your teeth at least two times a day, flossing once a day, and proper rinsing with the use of mouthwash.
- Chew on a sugarless gum or fruits and vegetables that are crunchy.
- Schedule regular dental checkups and cleanings which are recommended to be performed every six months. It is to ensure the proper care and maintenance of the patient’s overall dental health.
Halitosis Treatments are performed to assist the patient of the foul odor in their mouth. Procedures can be performed during dental appointments to clean their teeth and even the gum line thoroughly. Proper dental hygiene can be discussed by the dentist to further educate the patient about the proper care for the maintenance of their overall dental health.
Let us help you improve the freshness and health of your smile! Book your appointment with us at Clover Smile Studio for Halitosis Treatments in Austin, TX. We are located at 16009 FM 1325 Suite 200 Austin TX 78728.